Our immune system is part of the blood and it is largely involved in fighting infections. The immune cells are usually referred to as the soldiers of the body. When levels in the blood are low, there is a risk of developing infections. It is important we keep our soldiers strong this period so they can fight infections.
Here are some ways to boost our immunity:
- Take a lot of fruits and vegetables- these are important as they contain certain vitamins and minerals that serve as precursors of the immune cells
- Exercise regularly- it increases blood circulation thus allowing cells of the immune system move freely in the blood
- Avoid stress- prolonged stress can lead to persistently elevated levels of a steroid called cortisol in the body. When this happens consistently, they tend to suppress the immune cells from doing their job.
- Get adequate and quality sleep- when you?re asleep, some cells of the immune system are produced and distributed throughout the body. If you don?t get adequate and quality sleep, the immune system may not produce these cells.
- Quit smoking – chemicals released from smoking such as nicotine, carbon dioxide, compromise the immune system. They impede growth and functions of the immune cells. Smoking is bad for the lungs. It can worsen an infection such as Covid.
- If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation- taking excessive alcohol tend to lower the immune function. It weakens the body?s ability to fight infections